
I like to watch the Olympics mostly because it's a show in which every character is a protagonist, there is no cryptic storyline or treacherous perfidy, and requires me to actually watch the screen only occasionally. It's also nice to see the overt passion of the competitors and ebullient faces of the victorious, but I like it mostly because it's comforting in its repitition.
I don't have to hold my breath or hands in front of my face, wary of unexpected or unwanted endings. I can give my mind permission to meander off because there will always be an immediate replay or recap of anything I might have missed. Even though injustice is omnipresent, in the Olympics, victories are won more linearly: people win because they win, not because they might have paid off a judge or killed a man or had incredible luck. They work hard despite injuries and fatigue, have incredible sang-froid when facing the monster that will not be satiated until all their dreams are either shattered or placed on a ribbon around their neck. They are Olympians;they are mere men. That's probably the part I like most.
No comments:
Post a Comment